Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Dogs of World War I

World War I soldier with a dog, trophy, and Lee-Enfield Rifle No.1.
Art by Chris Collingwood.

British captain  leads horse with dog near Amiens, France, August 1916.

In France, this dog was dressed as a German soldier.

Dogs pulls a machine gun for British soldiers on the western front in 1914.

Airedales with gas masks. 

Scotland supplied tough men and tough dogs for the front.

Belgian dogs pull machine-gun on the western front, December 1914
Belgian dogs pull machine-gun on the western front, December 1919.

In Belgium, a cart dog is hitched to a machine gun. 

Belgian soldiers with a train of dog-powered machine guns in 1914.

Bavarian medic and medical pack dog being inspected by King Ludwig.

1 comment:

lucypup2009@gmail.com said...

Fantastic photos. It must have been a truly awful feeling to need to manufacture gas masks for dogs...and babies. I've seen some of them up close and they made me shudder just to look at them. I'd have a heckuva time trying to get my Airedale mutt to even put one on, never mind wear it for an extended period.